The European Medicines Agency (EMA) is an agency of the European Union (EU) and responsible for the scientific evaluation of medicines and monitoring their quality. It was established in 1995.
Did you know that EMA:
- receives 36,000 visitors and organizes 565 international meetings per year
- assesses approximately 84 new medicines per year
- registers 1.2 million undesirable effects of drugs
- has a network of 40 national medicines authorities and almost 4,000 experts within the EU
- has a budget of 337 million euro (2018) (direct expenditure in the country of establishment: approx. 50%)